A: The stone building that now houses the Niagara Falls History Museum is the former Stamford Township Hall. It was built in 1874 by renowned local architect John Latshaw to house the departmental offices and council chambers of the former Township of Stamford. When the Township was amalgamated into the City of Niagara Falls in 1963, the building was used for various departments of the greater city, and was handed over to the Lundy’s Lane Historical Museum in 1970.
A: As with many questions of History there is no one right answer; you have to decide for yourself! Visit the R.D. Gale Family War of 1812 Gallery and consider which side, if any, you believe won the War of 1812. Or take a walk in Lundy's Lane National Historic Site.
A: This question is answered by definitions and semantics as opposed to a single complete answer. Tactically it was a victory for the United States as they did manage to take the heights of Lundy’s Lane from the British, Canadian and Native allies. The U.S. army did well in this battle as they managed to flank the cannon, capture the heights and the cannons and make the British “advance to the rear”. Strategically, however, it was a British victory as the deciding factor of a victory is land-held at this time. The U.S. remaining on the field, tired, thirsty, hot, running low on ammunition, afraid of being surrounded and afraid of being cut off from their supplies decided to “advance to the rear” themselves just before the final wave of British infantry attacked; leaving the top of the hill to be retaken at close to two o’clock in the morning. More than 1600 casualties, among them 300 deaths, had occurred, during this, the bloodiest battle in Canada during the War of 1812.
A: The artefacts that have been on display as snap-shots from daily life have mostly been re-housed and are placed in storage so that they may rest after being on display. The new artefacts that are on display will be rotated through as they too will need to rest. The role of a museum is to present information but also conserve, protect and keep artefacts for future generations; unfortunately displaying the artefacts, especially for long periods of time, are detrimental to those roles and requirements. Due to these, there has been a general change in the gallery style of museums from the former cabinets of curiosities formula, to a newer gallery type based on interpretation.A majority of our collection can be found online here.
A: We are a fifteen minute walk to and from the casino and the Falls, which is about a five minute drive. It is just over 2 kilometres from the Falls to the Museum. Check it out here.
A: There is a spacious parking lot located behind the Niagara Falls History Museum; additionally there is a fully accessible entrance adjacent to this parking lot with a handicapped parking space. Once parked, you are within a short walk to the Lundy's Lane Battlefield and the Battle Ground Hotel Museum.
A: There are many wonderful restaurants that can cater to a wide variety of tastes within a 5 minute walk of the Niagara Falls History Museum.
A: The mummies for which you search are from the former Niagara Falls Museum, which was the oldest Museum in Canada, having been established in 1827 by Thomas Barnett. After several renovations and relocations, the Niagara Falls Museum was sold and relocated to a private collector in Toronto in 1999. We have acquired some artefacts from the former Niagara Falls Museum and they can be seen in our online database. The Niagara Falls History Museum, formerly the Lundy’s Lane Historical Museum, is a part of the City of Niagara Falls Museums and specializes in the human history of Niagara Falls including the development of the area, War of 1812, industry, geography, daredevils, tourism and the presentation of such in accordance with Federal and International standards.
Niagara Falls Night of Art
Road Movies: Fall Film Series
Community Yoga Series
Road Movies: Fall Film Series