Ainslie Crescent –named for William and Robert Ainslie who planned the Coach/McMillan Drive Subdivision.
Alexander Crescent –named for a former Governor-General of Canada.
Arad Street –named for Arad Skinner who owned land near the intersection of Drummond and McLeod Roads; runs parallel to Skinner Street.
Armoury Street –the street on which the armoury was located.
Bampfleld Street –named for the Bampfield family who came to Niagara Falls in 1860, and operated the Great Western (later Grand Trunk) Restaurant until 1909.
Barker Street –named after a butcher by the name of Barker who married the widow of Stephen Peer, and opened up this street which originally extended only a short distance from Main Street.
Beaverdams Road –named for the Battle of Beaverdams which was a British victory during the War of 1812, fought June 24, 1813.
Beechwoods Road –originally an area which was heavily wooded with beech trees
Bender Hill –One of the two earliest settlers of this area, Philip Bender served as a Butler's Ranger and immigrated to Canada at the same time as Thomas McMicken, in 1782. He settled by the Falls, in the area which would later become known as Clifton.
Biggar Road –Hwy 47 named for the Loyalist Biggar family, one of the first area settlers, and prominent citizens.
Booth Street –named for William A. Booth, second Reeve of Stamford Township (1860); name given in 1945
Bridge Street –street leading to the first suspension bridge built over the Whirlpool; also used to be called Chestnut Street and Benedict Road
Bridgewater Street –named for the Bridgewater Mills in Chippawa.
Brock Street –named for Major-General Sir Isaac Brock commander of the British Forces who was killed during the War of 1812.
Bruce Avenue –Possibly named for James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin; or named for a British military hero.
Buchner Place –named for Christopher Buchner, who acquired the land in the area from James Forsyth, whose daughter he married in 1799; name changed from McKenzie Place around 1970
Buckley Street –North of Morrison, Superior Ave (now non-existent) is named Buckley Street, after Morton Major Buckley, who paid to have the street extended from Morrison to the new school house on Simcoe Street in 1886, and planted maple trees on either side.
Bukator Drive –named for George Bukator, Reeve of Chippawa Council (1947-1957) and Niagara Falls MPP for a number of years.
Burch Place –named for Loyalist John Burch, one of the first settlers in this area, and the first individual to be buried in Drummond Hill Cemetery; name changed from Hanan Place around 1970.
Butler Place –named for John Butler, a Loyalist who formed the Butler's Rangers during the American Revolutionary War.*
Byng Avenue –named for Lord Byng, a former Governor-General of Canada,
Canboro Road –another name for the section of Lundy's Lane which extended west of Green's Comer's (Montrose Rd); name officially changed to Lundy's Lane in August, 1970.
Cadham Street –named for a former owner of the property on which the 'Wartime Housing Site' (see Hodgson Ave) was developed for veterans.
Cambridge Street –named for Cambridge University.
Cartier Drive –named for explorer Jacques Cartier.
Cataract Avenue –named for the falls
Centre Street –named for the "Centre" of the city, formerly Clifton; named changed from Mary Street in the 1890's.
Churchill Street –named for British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
Champlain Drive –named for explorer Samuel de Champlain
Church's Lane –named for Munson Church who owned the land above Church's Lane, between Portage Road and Stanley Avenue (in maps from 1862 and 1876).
Clifton Hill –Named for the village of Clifton which was situated in that area; the name came from the town of Clifton in England. Originally known as Ferry Hill or Ferry Road.
College Crescent –named for Niagara Falls Collegiate
Corwin Avenue and Crescent –named for Joseph Corwin, the progenitor of the Corwin family in Canada, they owned land around this street.
Crysler Avenue –named for Hennanus Crysler, a prominent area businessman who built the first Clifton Hotel; formerly the area of Welland Street south of Bridge St whose name was changed to Crysler in 1970
Culp Street -the lane leading from Portage Road to Isaac Culp's house, which was purchased from James Forsyth in 1798, became known as Culp Street. Culp was a son-in-law of Robert Randall, one of the largest land owners of Upper Canada who purchased the Bridgewater Mills around 1799.
Depew Street –Named for James Depew, Reeve of Stamford Township (1901-1905)
Desson Street –named for the Desson family; originally called Sixth Street, then Lombard Street.
Dorchester Road –named for Governor General Sir Guy Carleton, Earl of Dorchester. Note: Mount Dorchester was one of the early names of the area known as Township Number 2 or Stamford Township, also known as Winery Road.
Drummond Road –named for General Sir Gordon Drummond who commanded the British forces at the Battle of Lundy's Lane. Called Victoria in early maps (c. 1913 - changed to Drummond by 1932).
Elgin Street –named in honour of James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, Governor-General of Canada; he lived in Drummondville in 1849.
Empire Place –named for the United Empire Loyalists who first settled in this area (near Loyalist Avenue).
Epworth Circle –named for Epworth, England, the birthplace of the Wesley brothers, John and Charles, who founded the Methodist religion.
Eton Crescent –named for Eton University.
Ferry Street –the street which led down from the Portage Road to the row-boat ferries which shuttled passengers across the Niagara River
Forsythe Street –named for James Forsyth, a UEL who owned considerable land in the Falls View area. His son was William Forsyth, a prominent area businessman who built the Pavilion Hotel; formerly Lincoln Street to around 1970.
Gage Crescent –probably named for General Thomas Gage, the second Governor-General of Canada.
Garner Road –named for the Garner family, Loyalists who settled in the "Beechwoods" around this area.
Green Avenue –named for the Green family, early Loyalist settlers who owned the land in this area.
Greendale Avenue –also named for the Green family (and Greendale school which is also named after them).
Hanan Street –named for George Hanan, the first Mayor (position was also called Chief Magistrate) of the City of Niagara Falls (1904). Also Mayor of the Town of Niagara Falls (1894-1895)
Harvard Avenue –named for Harvard University.
Hawkins Street –named in 1942 for a past owner of the property on which the Wartime Housing Site' was developed.
Hennepin Crescent –named for Father Louis Hennepin, the European to view the Falls
Heximer Avenue –named in 1942 for the owner of the land on which the 'Wartime Housing Site' (see Hodgson Ave) was developed for veterans.
High Street –so named because an excellent view could be obtained from its high elevation
Hiram Street –named for early male members of the Loyalist Bender family (also John and Philip)
Hodgson Avenue –named for J. Arthur Hodgson, who owned land between Montrose and Beaverdams Roads, which he developed into a veteran's subdivision (Wartime Housing Site)
Holland Road –the part of Lundy's Lane which went from Green's Corners to New Holland (now Allanburg), so called because of the large number of Dutch immigrants who had settled there.
Houck Drive –named for William L. Houck, Mayor of Niagara Falls (1947-1950), and MP and MPP of Niagara Falls for a number of years.
Inglis Street –named in 1946 for then Mayor of the City of Niagara Falls, George R. Inglis (1940-1946)
Jepson Street –A lane leading west from Victoria Avenue to land owned by the Jepson family
John Street –named for early male members of the Loyalist Bender family (Also Hiram and Philip)
Jolley Crescent –named for Arthur C. Jolley, who served as city MPP for two terms (1952 and 1956)
Kalar Road –named for Henry Kalar, whose father was a UEL, and his descendants who owned the land around present day Kalar Road and Lundy's Lane
Ker Street –named for the Ker family who owned land in that area.
Kilman Place –named for Jacob Kilman, a Butler's Ranger who settled in Niagara around 1786 and was granted land in that area (Dorchester and Thorold Stone Road); name changed from Queen's Place in 1970.
LaMarsh Drive –named for Julia (Judy) La Marsh, a lawyer, MP and cabinet minister, and prominent citizen of Niagara Falls.
Latshaw Street –named for John Latshaw, a prominent Drummondville architect, who designed the Stamford Township Hall (Lundy's Lane Historical Museum); name changed from Misener Street (named for an early family) around 1970.
Leeming Street–named after Rev. William Leeming, first rector of Trinity Church, Chippawa
Leonard Street–named for Major Richard Leonard, whose estate was on the land between present day Leonard Street and Drummond Road.
Livingstone Street –a short street located north of the Loretto Centre; named for the owner of the land in the area which was purchased by the Canada Southern Railway Company.
Lowell Street –named for William Lowell, a Drummondville merchant who owned the land on the north-west corner of Main and Ferry.
Loyalist Avenue –named in honour of the United Empire Loyalists who first settled in this area.
Lundy's Lane –Originally an First Nation's trail, Lundy's Lane was the "laneway" from the Portage Road running to Green's Comers (Montrose Rd.) and the farm of William Lundy, a Quaker from Pennsylvania who was granted the land at the end of the American Revolution
Macklem Street –named for James Macklem who came to Canada in 1791, and his family, who was the leading family in Chippawa for 100 years. One of his descendants was Sutherland Macklem, the nephew and heir of Thomas Clark Street (son of Samuel Street of Clark and Street)
McGill Street — named for McGill University.
McMicking Street — named for Thomas McMicken (or McMicking), one of the two earliest settlers in Township Number 2 (Stamford Township). He emigrated from the United States in 1782 and settled in what is now referred to as the North end of the city.
McMillan Drive — named for David D. McMillan Ltd. the realtor for the McMillan/Coach Drive subdivision.
Menzie Street — named for Menzie who laid out the Menzie Subdivision, located opposite Fairview Cemetery and with the streets named after trees.
Monroe Street — named for C. F. Monroe, Reeve of Stamford Township (1906-1908; 1925-1929).
Montrose Road — area settled in the 1700's by U.E.L.; named by Archibald Thompson, first postmaster of Montrose, after his birthplace, Montrose, Scotland.
Morden Drive — named for James C. Morden, Reeve of Stamford Township (1943-1944) and a school principal for many years
Morrison Street — named for Lt. Col. Joseph Wanton Morrison of the 89th Regiment of Foot, who commanded the British and Canadian Forces at the Battle of Crysler's Farm in the War of 1812, and was a battalion commander at the Battle of Lundy's Lane
Nassau Avenue — named for the Nassau District, one of four districts in Upper Canada, in which the Niagara area was situated.
Nelson Crescent — named for British military hero, Lord Horatio Nelson.
Newman Street — named for Mayor (Chief Magistrate) of the City of Niagara Falls, C. R. Newman (1922-1923)
North Street — the portion east of Stanley was called Welland Street (c. 1913), but it is all North Street now
Norton Street — named for the Norton Company in Chippawa
Oakes Drive — named for Sir Harry Oakes, who had initiated the construction of the road.
Oneida Lane — named for Oneida Silver-plate Company which was located at the former location of Maple Leaf Village (now the Interim Casino Niagara)
Orchard Avenue — named for John A. Orchard, Reeve of Stamford Township (1884-1887), and one of the most influential residents of the Village of Niagara Falls (South) (formerly Drummondville)
Oxford Street — named for Oxford University.
Peer Street — named for Stephen Peer, who owned considerable land on either side of Main St.
Pew Street — named for named for Loyalist Samuel Pew (Pugh) and his descendants, a prominent area family who owned considerable land.
Philip Street –named for early male members of the Loyalist Bender family (also Hiram and John)
Portage Ave — the portage route that First Nations and later settlers used to bypass the Falls. (Either por-tig or por-taj pronunciation)
Prince Edward Avenue — named for Edward, Prince of Wales (Edward VII), who visited the area in 1860.
Queen Street — named for Queen Victoria of England.
Reilly Street — named for John Reilly, a sergeant in the Butler's Rangers, and a UEL; was a prominent citizen in Stamford, acting as magistrate and town officer for a number of years.
Riall Street — named for General Phineas Riall, leader of the British forces in the War of 1812.
River Road — so named because it fronts the Lower Niagara River; used to be called Front Street for the same reason.
Roberts Street — used to be Park Avenue
Ryerson Crescent — named for Reverend Egerton Ryerson, a great Methodist educator who is considered to be the father of education in Ontario
Rysdale Street — named for George Rysdale, Reeve of Stamford Township (1913-1916)
Simcoe Street — named after Lake Simcoe, which was named by the Governor John Graves Simcoe, the first Lieutenant-General of Upper Canada, in honour of his father.
Skinner Street — named for Haggai Skinner, a UEL who was granted land in the area.
Slater Street — named for R. P. Slater, Mayor (Chief Magistrate) of the City of Niagara Falls (1906-1907, 1909); Mayor of the Town of Niagara Falls (1899-1901); used to be Fifth Street.
Spence Street — probably named for William Spence, the first clerk of the Village of Niagara Falls (South), and one of its most influential residents.
Spring Street — named in honour of Russel's Brewery which bottled spring water; used to be Drummond Avenue.
Stamford Street — named for Stamford Township, named for the town of Stamford, England.
Stanley Street — probably named for E. G. Stanley who was the Secretary to the Colonial Office, London, England in 1832.
Stokes Street — named for the Stokes family, who owned land around this area. Note: land to build St. Thomas More Church was purchased from the estate of the late Richard Melville Stokes in 1956.
Summer Street — probably named to go with Spring Street.
Swayze Drive — named for Colonel Isaac Swayze, a UEL; or for C. F. Swayze, mayor of the City of Niagara Falls from 1929-1934.
Sylvia Place — called Centre (c. 1913 - changed by 1932)
Taylor Street — named for George W. Taylor, Reeve of Stamford Township (1868)
Thorold Stone Road — a heavily used macadamized road which extended from the Niagara River, south of Stamford Village, to the Town of Thorold and the City of St. Catharines.
Valley Way — the valley of Old Muddy Run, a clear little stream which became muddy during heavy rains or when snow melted in the spring. Became so polluted that it has been contained in a pipe which runs under Valley Way.
Varsity Avenue — denotes the university subdivision in the north end of the city.
Victoria Avenue — Originally named 1st Concession Road, then Clifton Road; named was changed in honour of Queen Victoria of England.
Welland Avenue — Named for the Welland River (Chippawa Creek), has been renamed Crysler Avenue
Welland Street - it was the continuation of North Street on the east side of Stanley Avenue, now the entirety is just called North Street. Probably named after the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, as opposed to the river, as the street immediately to the south was called Lincoln Street (as late as 1932), it is now called Forsythe Street.
Wellington Street — named for the Duke of Wellington, the British commander who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo.
Wesley Place — named for the Wesley Park Project; named changed from Carroll Place around 1970.
Willoughby Drive — named for the town of Willoughby in Lincolnshire, England (also Willoughby Township).
Winston Street — named for British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
Yale Crescent — named for Yale University.
Zimmerman Ave — Originally Clifton Avenue; renamed after Samuel Zimmerman, the "benefactor of Clifton."
These were the promoters of the City of the Falls Project.
Allendale Avenue –the Honourable William Allan, President of the Bank of UC; name changed from Allen Avenue in 1980.
Buchanan Street –James Buchanan, His Majesty's Council in New York; was Seventh Street
Clark Street –Thomas Clark and Samuel Street
Dixon Street –Thomas Dixon, President of the Society of St. George, NY
Dunn Street –the Honourable J. H. Dunn, Receiver-General of UC
Murray Street –Lieutenant General John Murray, British Army
Robinson Street –James Robinson, resident agent of the City of the Falls Company
Stamford was one of the only townships which was not surveyed into Concession Roads, the north-south roads of the city which were 5/8ths of a mile apart were nevertheless known as Concession Roads:
1st - Victoria Avenue;
2nd - Stanley Avenue;
3rd - Drummond Road;
4th - Dorchester Road;
5th - Montrose Road;
6th - Kalar Road;
7th - Gamer Road;
8th - Beech Woods Road;
9th - Thorold Town Line
Streets which are West of Zimmerman Avenue are/were named for major bodies of water: (Lake) Erie Avenue, (Lake) Ontario Avenue, (Lake) St. Clair Avenue, Welland (River) Avenue, St. Lawrence (River) Avenue, and (Lake) Superior Avenue. The cross street which intersects them all, Huron Street, is named for Lake Huron. A third of a kilometre or a twentieth of a mile south is Simcoe Street, named for Lake Simcoe, which intersects only some of the streets. All of the streets are extant except Superior Street, a short street between Morrison and Bridge Streets and Welland Avenue, which is now called Crysler Avenue (see "Crysler Avenue" above).
Names in the Galaxy Subdivision are named for bodies in the solar system: Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Neptune, Pluto, and Solar. Also Galaxy Street. Note: Venus Crescent exists elsewhere in Niagara Falls. The Galaxy Subdivision is to the North of Stamford Centre between Dorchester and St. Paul Avenue, north off of Riall Street.
Note: this information was gathered from a variety of sources, but the most helpful were the vertical files on 'Streets' and 'Subdivisions' at the Library, James Morden's columns on Street Names, the Township Number 2 book by Ernest Green, and the old fire insurance registers. Additional names were obtained from various newspaper articles, the local phone book, and by comparing a modem street map with old property maps.
Join Shine On Yoga for a FREE community yoga class. Relaxing hatha yoga class, geared toward reducing stress and anxiety...
A great family outing. Read a book together, explore our 1850s tavern and more.
This talk will look at the Niagara Region's abundance of freshwater lakes, rivers, canals and quarries and explore the u...
Silverware, School Books and Skates: A Stroll Around Silvertown Join Sherman Zavitz, the City's Official Historian, f...