Scott’s brigade approached from the south along the Portage Road. Shortly after 7pm on July 25, 1814, they emerged from the woods that covered the area south of this cemetery along present day Barker Street. Ahead, they saw the height of land at Lundy’s Lane, containing a small cemetery and a meeting house, all surrounded by farmers’ fields. The British had placed their artillery on the high ground in preparation for battle.
The Americans surged forward, attempting to take the British position. This and repeated attempts failed and they endured heavy losses. Later, under cover of darkness, the American 21st Infantry made its way up the southeast slope of the hill. In a surprise flank attack, they captured the British guns.
Replay: Thomas Barnett and Niagara’s Early Museum History
Museum Kids: Ancient Egypt and Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Underground Railroad Heritage Centre Tour
History & Archeology @ the eXchange